So this summer my brother stayed with us for 9 weeks, yes 9 weeks! He was originally going to stay with us to watch Carter, but part of the condition was that he join a basketball league here in College Station, and so he did. Another part of the condition was that I coach his team. This was for multiple reasons: 1) He would play harder for me, 2)I would be harder on him and 3) we would have something to talk about. Well, to say that this league was competitive would be a complete UNDERSTATEMENT. It started with a coaches meeting that was actually a draft. This draft lasted over 3 hours! It was crazy, people yelling, arguing, etc. Well I got my team, and we were ready to start. We started the season with a preseason tournament. We won our first 2 games and that put us in the championship game. We ended up getting 2nd, losing by by 4 points to the Red Raiders. I was pretty proud because we went in that tournament having never played together, not a single practice. Then came the season. We played 8 games, and our overall record was 6-2. Our 2 losses came to the Jayhawks (we lost the 1st game by 4 and the 2nd by 2. (We beat the Red Raiders by 4 though).
Here was our schedule:
Aggies26 Wildcats36
Wildcats29 Bears27
Red Raiders29 Wildcats34
Jayhawks32 Wildcats28
Huskers29 Wildcats43
Wildcats47 Aggies40
Wildcats44 Red Raiders40
Wildcats27 Jayhawks29
So we finished 2nd in the regular season behind the Jayhawks. Then came the post season tournament. The one that matters. Double elimination. We were ready! Since both us and the Jayhawks were 1 and 2. We both got bye's on the first night. So no game on Monday (8.4.08). Then we played the Bears on Tuesday night (8.5.08). We only beat them by 2 in the regular season, so I was a little nervous, but I knew that our defense was much better. We ended up winning by 6 points (I think). This meant we would play either the Red Raiders or the Jayhawks on 8.8.08. The Jayhawks won, and there was NO WAY I was going to let them beat us 3 times. But win or lose I knew we'd see them in the Championship game, because we would work our way back there. Well, we BEAT them - what a great birthday present from my team! It was a great game, and we sent them to the loser's bracket, and they had to win 2 games to play in the Championship. Now we had to sit and wait to see who we will play. So on Saturday we go to the gym to play the Jayhawks AGAIN. Well my team was ready, we came out pressing and they didn't know what to do. We were never behind and we won the whole tournament. It was the end to a great season. My brother did such an AWESOME job, and is turning into a great basketball player. For a 7th grader in S.A. he'll do great. Thanks for reading, and thanks to my guys for having a wonderful season. Being the only girl coach was hard, and I couldn't have done it with out them.
No comments:
Post a Comment