This week I have been on the look out for "a revelation." It was an assignment from by current bible study. I have seen a few this week, you know those "God moments" when you can actually see the Holy Spirit working.
Well, Monday morning, on my way to an appointment, it was raining pretty hard. I try not to follow too close when the weather is bad, but today I was in a hurry, as usual. Anyway, I found myself day dreaming, and not focused on the road, and I had to slam on my brakes when the car in front of me stopped suddenly. (My car has ABS, so this is OK.) As my car came to a stop a foot from the F150 in front me, and when my heart had stopped pounding at the thought of ALMOST have to pay my deductible. I was hit with "a revelation"...it was like one of those cartoon moments when the light bulb goes on above the character head. Like this:
It was amazing to me how much the correlation there was/is between the pre-ABS system brakes (and my dads words) and a Christian walk with Jesus. You can slam on the brake and nothing happens, the car doesn't slow and it doesn't stop. The pedal feels normal, but you have no brakes. The brake linings are wet (think sin). In a moment of panic, you realize you can't stop. To me this is what a life without Jesus is like. Panicked, scary, and uncontrolled. When you commit yourself to a relationship with Him, then it's like you're pumping the brakes. We are all sinners, but by "pumping your brakes" and holding on to your faith in Him, you are able to gain traction and stay on the road. If it begins to fade again, you "pump" it faster and harder. You should feel the traction (relationship) growing. Small as it may be, it is acting to brake and slow you from spiraling out of control.I am not that great at writing, but felt the need to share this....Does it make any sense? It does in my head, but sometimes it doesn't come across exactly like I mean it to ;).
1 comment:
Makes total sense. For a moment I thought you were going to say you almost hit B in the F-150. Now that would be a wake-up call. :) So to continue your illustration, is being in a relationship with Jesus like have ABS in your car? He will be there to protect you? Ha. Just a thought!
Post a Comment